Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2008.010.080
Object Name Print, Photographic
Title 1877 Jefferson County Courthouse and Jail demolition
Date 1964
Description Black and white image of the destruction of the Jefferson County Courthouse and Jail in 1964. The building was located on the east side of Washington Avenue at 16th Street. The image depicts curious residents who came to witness the event. The building was last used by Sheriff Arthur Wermuth to house the Sheriff's Department. Wermuth vacated the building in 1958 when a replacement jail was built at block away at 16th and Arapahoe Street in Golden, Colorado. From 1958 to 1964 the building was used as the Jefferson County Museum with displays on the first floor (the District Courtroom) and managed by Pansy Hook with support from the Golden DAR.
Copyright All rights belong to Golden History Museums, City of Golden without restriction.
Collection Permanent-Dennis L. Potter
Credit line Golden History Museums, City of Golden, Dennis L. Potter Collection
Caption 1877 Jefferson County Courthouse and Jail demolition
People Hook (Parshall), Pansy J.
Wermuth, Arthur
Search Terms 1878 Jefferson County Courthouse and Jail
Jefferson County Courthouse
Jefferson County Jail
Jefferson County Sheriffs
Jefferson County Sheriffs Department
Mount Lookout Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution